BCCI is working on the plan for IPL 2023. IPL 2023 is likely to start on 1st April, final will be on 28th May, Sunday. With the WTC final (World Test Championship final) starting at The Oval on June 8, the BCCI has to curtail the schedule a bit. The initial idea was to play the IPL in a 74-day window. However, IPL 2023 will be of only 58 days. The IPL final schedule will come in the first week of February.
The initial idea was to have the finals in the first week of June with a start from 1 April. Since April 1-2 falls on a weekend, BCCI can get off to a good start. The final would have been on June 4. But instead, the BCCI may move the IPL final date by a week to prepare for the WTC final.
TaTa IPL 2023 Schedule: IPL will start on April 1, 2023
- The BCCI is considering shifting the IPL start date from April 1 as it falls on a Saturday.
- The final is likely to be held on May 28, Sunday.
- The IPL 2023 schedule can be confirmed in the first week of February.
- The IPL window was initially for a longer period.
- However, due to the WTC final being held on June 8, the BCCI had to shorten the window.
- In all likelihood, the Australian Tests will not be available for the regular IPL playoff stage if they qualify for the WTC Finals.
- If India qualifies, some of the players who will not make it to the IPL playoffs will have a short camp ahead of the Oval final.
- While Australia has sealed their place in the WTC final, India can reach next month with a 3-1 or 2-0 win over Australia in the home series.
If India seals their place in the WTC final, the Test regulars who will not be part of the IPL 2023 playoffs will have a smaller camp. Australia will similarly pull out all regular Test players from IPL 2023 at least 10 days before the WTC final.